[sldev] Japanese SDL support.

Alissa Sabre alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Jul 13 03:54:37 PDT 2007

> I have been told by a Japanese user that all Japanese linux users must
> apply this patch to get usable input.

Yes.

> Is this already in Jira and I missed it?

It is in JIRA.  VWR-240.

> can this patch be merged into the
> distribution?  I guess the author will need to have a contribution
> agreement if they don't already.

I wrote the patch, and I have signed the SL contribution agreement.
However, the patch is against SDL, not SL viewer.

I have sent the patch to SDL developpers and is already merged in the
latest SVN repository (of SDL.)  The SDL team is about to release the
next version, SDL 1.2.12, hopefully on this weekend.  The patch will
be a part of the version.

The plan is, in my understanding, that we will wait for the official
release of SDL 1.2.12, then replace the libSDL.so distributed with the
SL Viewer with that of SDL 1.2.12.

I've been running SDL 1.2.12 code with SL Viewer 1.17.* series for
about two weeks and with 1.18.0.6 recently, and having no problem.

The PRERELEASE of SDL 1.2.12 is waiting for you to test at

    http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/sdl-1.2.12.tar.gz

BTW, I'm receiving a same report from several Japanese Ubuntu users.
I don't know the cause.  If anyone has a clue, please let me know.

They say something like this:

  Downloaded and expanded LL official viewer distribution for Linux,
  fixed unicode.ttf symbolic link, then started the secondlife.  It
  run fine (except that Japanese input is impossible.)

  Downloaded the latest SDL source (containing my patch) and built.
  Copied the resulting libSDL-1.2.so.0 to the Second Life viewer's lib
  directory, overwriting the one come with the viewer.

  Started the viewer.  It didn't work!

  Then, downloaded the Ubuntu SDL-1.2 package with apt-get.  Also
  downloaded all packages listed as "build-depends" on SDL-1.2 and
  installed them.

  Started the viewer.  It now worked fine.  Japanese input is OK.

Based on the reports, I guess the problem is a package that my patched
version of SDL depends but the original SDL doesn't.  What I'm not
sure is what package it is.  The behaviour seems strange, since I
believe my patch didn't add any additinal dependency...