[sldev] Wanted: Standard cross-platform library for CPU detection

Tofu Linden tofu.linden at lindenlab.com
Tue Jul 17 11:25:07 PDT 2007

I've used liboil in the past - it's pretty cool.  I seem to
recall that it was fairly painful to package, though, if not
anticipating relying upon a system-installed one.  It's also
quite large (another packaging concern).

The license would seem to allow one to re-use some isolated
routines if we don't want to absorb the whole library - again
I've done this in the past for personal projects and it wasn't
technically difficult.  Perhaps the CPU detection could be
isolated into its own library (heck, perhaps the liboil authors
would be happy to see this isolation as a contrib).

-Tofu