[sldev] Wanted: Standard cross-platform library for CPU detection

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Wed Jul 18 05:20:05 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 07:25:07PM +0100, Tofu Linden wrote:
> I've used liboil in the past - it's pretty cool.  I seem to
> recall that it was fairly painful to package, though, if not
> anticipating relying upon a system-installed one.  It's also
> quite large (another packaging concern).

> The license would seem to allow one to re-use some isolated
> routines if we don't want to absorb the whole library - again
> I've done this in the past for personal projects and it wasn't
> technically difficult.  Perhaps the CPU detection could be
> isolated into its own library (heck, perhaps the liboil authors
> would be happy to see this isolation as a contrib).

I'd very much like to see liboil used, and at least kept able to use an
already-packaged version, rather than rolling more code into the
slviewer core.

I'm particularly keen on getting the advances of Callum and Dzonatas on
vectorising with SSE2 magically translate to an Altivec implementation.

^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/