[sldev] compressed maps?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Jul 19 11:31:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 17:35 +0200, Dale Glass wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 08:15:13AM -0700, Dzonatas wrote:
> > Let me know which ones, so that I can run ImageMagick's compare on them.
> >
> I have for example texture 5b9e9c17-f346-871e-8617-773335f5f3e2
>
> To me it looks like this:
> http://daleglass.net/scanner_bad.tga
>
> This is very old, so I'm not sure if I remember the details right, but
> IIRC:
>
> Upload with openjpeg: Looks bad if seen with openjpeg, good with KDU
> upload with kdu: looks good with both

ABOUT TIME someone else noticed this! This has been a problem ever since
the slviewer source was first released. For some reason, textures
encoded with OpenJPEG, then decoded with OpenJPEG, come up with errors
like that. Decoding with KDU, you don't see it.

It seems to be related to the fact that its using lossless encoding.
Everyone using OpenJPEG PLEASE use this patch:

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1475

We don't need to be clogging up the grid with lossless images, unless
they're sculpties. :) Using lossy encoding seems to fix all these
issues. Which, IMHO, is a work around. The buggyness in lossless coding
is still worrisome and should probably still be tracked down.