[sldev] 2 core changes?

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 10:01:51 PDT 2007

It appears that in recent versions, the SL client is using a lot more
CPU on multicore machines.  The effect on performance seems to be
strongly positive but it does have some quirks.

Prior to this, when SL was on a desktop that I wasn't using, its CPU
usage was near zero, now it uses about 100% of one CPU all the time,
even when it's on a hidden desktop.

When it is on screen, now it uses nearly 2 full CPUs, and the framerate
seems to be very nice, about a 20% increase.

Can anyone explain the design changes that lead to this new behavior?

Whatever the "new" loop is doing, can it shut down when the rendering
shuts down too, so that SL doesn't burn up electricity when I'm not
looking at it?

-Jason