[sldev] Browser

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sun Jul 22 12:21:46 PDT 2007

Scott T. Norman wrote:
> Dzonata, thanks for the info, the HTML on a prim, that's what I'm
> looking for.
XY Text. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/XyText_1.5

Texture mapping to display alphanumeric characters. While not ideal,
scaling text to the various sizes of prims is also an issue, so true
'HTML on a prim' may not be as workable presently as we would wish. Now,
a creative LSL hacker could use the same texture mapping technique with
multiple textures to signify bold, italic and underlined and do simple
rendering from a notecard or llHTTPRequest using the given HTML tags.
Given time, I'll probably do it (or someone else will) but it simply may
not be worth the effort. llHTTPRequest itself is handicapped at around
2k, it seems - thought *that* isn't quite clear either. Plus,
llHTTPRequest doesn't allow one to disregard the body tags, etc... But a
notecard reader with XYText 1.5 adapted to handle different aspects of
the same font through different textures is a nice thing to work on.

This does not solve display of textures from within the notecard, unless
one uses a linked object with (perhaps) a dedicated prim for displaying
textures. The latter has been done. We call them vendors. :-)

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
cnd at knowprose.com
http://www.knowprose.com

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

"Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla