[sldev] comments on patch for VWR-423

ham me at hamncheeseomlet.com
Mon Jul 23 11:12:55 PDT 2007

Hi all. I've attached a patch to VWR-423 to cover both VWR-423 and VWR-1187.
I've tested on a windows build using 1.18, but would like some more eyes on
it since this is my first patch. VWR-423 is "Selecting group charter text
causes Apply/Ignore/Cancel popup even if the text wasn't changed" and
VWR-1187 is "Profile > Classifieds tab shows confirmation dialog when no
changes are made"

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-423
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1187

There are two types of fixes here. For the first change LLTextEditor now
only calls onCommit within LLTextEditor::onFocusLost if the text has changed
(similar to how LLLineEditor handle it).

The other changes are to filter calls to onFocusReceived in
LLPanelClassified, LLPanelGroupRolesSubTab and LLPanelGroupGeneral. There is
an assumption made in the code for LLUICtrl::setFocus that disabled
(readonly) controls never get the focus and hence never will call
onFocusReceived.

You cannot disable the LLTextEditor when setting read only because that
would take away the ability for users to scroll long text (such as no copy
notecard). So all that to say...that the onFocusReceived and some onCommit
calls had to filtered to make sure if onCommit is being called that the user
has the rights to change and that in fact the text is changed.

By itself, this fix won't affect performance of one viewer but I would
imagine with all the update messages not happening, this change will help
overall scale. One example this will help is that spurious PickInfoUpdate
messages that were being generated just by clicking the description of
someone else's Picks and losing focus.

Anywho...let me know if you have any problems or questions if you
incorporate this patch.

thanks,

Jon Price/Hamncheese Omlet