[sldev] Translations

Daniel Nylander po at danielnylander.se
Fri Jul 27 03:26:29 PDT 2007

fre 2007-07-27 klockan 11:34 +0200 skrev Nicholaz Beresford:

> Oh dang, didn't notice the name.  That must have been a lot of
> work man ... kudos for that!

Oh yes :-)
(actually, I have translated 1500+ open source applications in my
"career")

> c:\cygwin\bin\diff -u --strip-trailing-cr xui_1_15 xui_1_18 >diff.txt

Excellent. I actually run Linux so that would make things easier.

The problem I see is that when the XML structure is changed, the
translations would be incomplete, which means that the user might not be
able to see new functions or would see strange error messages.

I'm not a developer but I'm involved in a lot of internationalization /
localization projects such as the GNOME Desktop Environment and Ubuntu
Linux.

There must be some sort of centralized updates of these XML files to
avoid distributing incomplete files. I would propose that someone put
together a web service or application that would present the
translatable strings to the translator. The translator could then
translate whatever strings that are untranslated and then the
application would generate new XML files. That would create complete
files based on the latest XML structure. I guess that GNU gettext would
be suitable for this.

Regards,
Daniel Nylander
Stockholm, Sweden