[sldev] Voice

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 07:54:22 PDT 2007

Well, I must confess my personal view is to scrap it entirely, on the basis that seperating all the communication tools into one place breaks the whole notion that the viewer in its entirety (including the 3D aspect) is the communication medium. I think there is a real danger anyway that people just go into SL to voice chat and ignore the 3D aspects as it is, and the new interface just reinforces this.

Anyway this is all on jira - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1550

However, if we are stuck with it, there are a few changes which IMHO may make it just about bearable:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1549
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1575
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1917

And these are certainly things I intend to implement, if they haven't been touched by the time we get our hands on the source code for this viewer.

Incidently, one of these has been closed as "won't fix", but without any explanation why (despite a request for one in jira). I had hoped it meant that a planned changed in the new interface meant it was no longer an issue, but as it still persists in the latest FL, I've re-opened it.

Matthew