[sldev] Processor Optimizations (Windows)

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Mon Jun 4 06:57:43 PDT 2007

>> http://nicholaz-beresford.blogspot.com/2007/06/running-with-5-50-higher-frame-rates.html
>>
> When you benchmark these results, it is a good measure to turn off
> different features. Use the Client->Rendering menu to do this. That way
> you can easily see the maximum possible framerate and see how individual
> features affect the framerate.
>
> I turned off a set of features and obtained up to 120FPS with general
> optimization on. This dropped down to 70FPS with the same features off
> and no optimizations. Almost a 2x speed difference kinda like that 50%
> increase you saw. In this same sim location with all features on, I get
> below 25 FPS with or without optimizations.

I was just running around sims with all stuff enabled (I really don't
want to spend much time on this as it's unlikely that anything like
a major change in project settings will ever make it into the SL build),
but with the FPS display enabled I often see FPS rates much higher than
before as soon as downloading of textures seem to settle down.

Not sure if that has any real usage impact at all, like more fluid
motion when actually being in motion or walking or flying, but these
compiler options seem to have at least some visible impact in isolated
areas.

Nick