[sldev] Moving the permissions window

Able Whitman able.whitman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 11:51:29 PDT 2007

The current version of the patch, which is attached to VWR-650, doesn't move
the permissions notification, but it does alter the notification in other
ways to help make the changes readily apparent even to users with color
blindness:

* the debit notification window is much taller than the standard
notification, which mitigates the "accidental click-through" problem
* the debit notification includes an additional textual warning at the top
of the window, in bold white (in contrast to the non-bold black text on the
rest of the window)
* the debit notification uses a different icon in the upper-left corner
* instead of 2 buttons, "Yes" and "No", the debit notification has 3
buttons, "Grant", "Deny", and "Details..." (the 3rd button raising a modal
alert with more information about the debit permission)

It would certainly be possible to do something like move the debit
permission notification to another corner of the screen, or even to move it
to the left so that it doesn't overlap the standard notifications. Another
suggestion I got was to make it a modal dialog or something similar to that,
where the debit permission behaved completely differently from other
permissions requests.

I chose the current implementation of the debit notification because I felt
it struck a good balance between communicating the importance of the debit
permission, while not annoying the user (something moving the window around,
or imposing a forced delay before dismissing it might), or confusing the
user (which presenting them with a new, modal dialog instead of a popup
notification might).

If you'd like, I would be happy to provide anyone who's interested with a
private drop of the Windows binaries built from 1.16.0.5 sources which
includes the debit permissions patch. I would love to get more feedback from
people who have tried out the new behavior. If you're interested in getting
a private drop, just send me an email.

I've also attached some screencaps of the debit patch in action to the bug,
and you can also see them on my blog:
http://ablewhitman.blogspot.com/2007/05/update-1-second-life-viewer-patch-to.html

All that said, I'm willing to be convinced that a different approach is
better, so if you think the current behavior is still inadequate, let me
know! I'm the only person so far who has tried out the changes "in-world",
but for me they seem to be just fine :)

--Able