Hosting Doxygen docs (Re: [sldev] Doxygen & Comments)

Chance Unknown chance at kalacia.com
Thu Jun 7 10:26:22 PDT 2007

IMHO

Comments in the source are beneficial only when they conform to a style
guide for the type of information included. If its just an academic bunch of
notes to make clear the selection of algorithm: then its far better to
document on a wiki for other people to look at, and not include in the
source code. If you get a 30 person team all stuffing notes into source
code, it becomes a maintenance nightmare, it hides the code, and it makes
the algorithms very difficult to see.

STYLE GUIDE : KNOW IT, BREATHE IT, LIVE IT.

Usually, whatever gets buried into source code should be of use to everyone,
and not hide algorithms or language constructs because of the verbosity.
Notes do much better in an attached text file within a project that has many
participants. A team usually will read the notes once or twice, and then
know what it is that they are looking at in the source code. If you deposit
those notes physically into the source, then you make it something a team
collectively now has to page past in order to get to the algorithm. That
wastes everybodys time.

---