[sldev] Valve/Steam Hardware survey.

Laurent Laborde kerdezixe at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 08:29:42 PDT 2007

On 6/13/07, Dirk Moerenhout <blakar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Memory foortprint is probably a good example of where things go wrong
> currently. Minimum for SL is 256MB and recommended is 512MB and we all
> know that 1GB doesn't hurt :)

I upgraded my AMD Barton 2600+ from 1GB to 3GB RAM.
1GB wasn't enough, swaping.

Since i upgraded to 3GB, i have less freeze and slowdown.
And when i was closing SL, it took many seconds to close, sometime for
30s at "cleaning up APR", with the hdd crying to death. Now with 3GB
it's done very very quickly, i can't even read the log in the debug
console while closing.

3GB is too much, i have 1.5GB of free memory. But my SL don't crash anymore.
I'm planning to put the SL cache in a ramdisk, but i can't find a good
and cheap ramdisk software. i'd recommand 1.5GB, not 512MB :)

I couldn't play SL all day long like i do, with less than 1GB, for sure :)
I don't follow this list anymore, just from time to time when i see an
interesting topic. I hope the memory leak you fixed will save a lot of
memory (i don't need it anymore since i have 3GB, but a lot of friends
don't have that much memory :p ).

PS: sorry for the very bad english. I'm not used to write good english
(not my main langage) but it's worse when i'm tired like i am right
now... mmm... patch-day, time to sleep. :)

--
kerunix Flan