[sldev] Valve/Steam Hardware survey.

Dirk Moerenhout blakar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 06:17:37 PDT 2007

> Of course, this is all moot unless anyone can actually derive benefit
> from SSE. Lets see the code. In my experiments with OpenJPEG, its pretty
> much memory bandwidth bound, SSE actually slows things down if anything,
> due to the stricter alignment requirements.

What about cvtss2si for float to integer casts/truncs? Even if you
don't care about alignment it'll be faster (Off course assuming you do
at the least align on 4 bytes).

> Though really, I couldn't give a rats ass if LL decides to require SSE
> or not in their builds, I have the source and my Fedora build will
> continue to support T-birds.

I think that's the best route to take. Even better, if building
Thunderbird compatible code becomes an option at compile time, we
could use 3DNow code. I think a solution using pf2id will be faster on
Thunderbird than the current code.

Downside would be seperate binaries, upside would be performance gains
on all platforms.

Dirk aka Blakar Ogre