[sldev] Re: More plugin / platform harping..

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Sun Jun 17 03:23:48 PDT 2007

>"Fix the grid" might be a trump card
> to throw at Linden developers (even if many of them are 3D programmers
> and have no idea how the backend services work? I never understood that
> part), but no one here can help grid stability other than posting bug
> reports with useful information and repros.

I guess that's about in line with how I'd see it, that is
plugins and skins are nice, but low priority as long as the
grid rattles along it's upper limit of capacity anyway.

I see no point in taking a huge part of the developers and
deveop something that would take the whole thing to a level
of load which it can't run anyway.

So my priority list would be

1) fix the grid
2) fix the viewer
3) improve grid performance
4) improve viewer performance
5) add new features
6) fix the grid
7) fix the viewer
8) improve grid performance
9) improve viewer performance
10) add plugin, skins and bells and whistles

(Voice would fall under 5 and Windlight under 10
in my personal list)

However, one thing that may be helpful though, would be to
make more viewer updates optional, I'm not sure if the changes
between 16 and 17 would be really mandatory in terms of
underlying protocol.

Nick