[sldev] Re: More plugin / platform harping..

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:25:07 PDT 2007

Ryan Williams wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:

>>> No, because we'll still be using the UDP message system for most
>>> packets, so proxying wouldn't really make much of a difference.  Even
>>> longer-term, we're likely to still keep using UDP for low-latency
>>> messages like ObjectUpdate.
>>>
>> The problem is that if you don't have proxy support a number of people
>> (including myself) are going to have problems with firewalls (often not
>> under their control) that restrict communication on port 80 and 443 to
>> proxy-only.
>>
>> I have already had problems with this... I had to get the URLs of the
>> help files because the internal browser couldn't get to them, and the
>> first time we had to accept a change in the TOS I had to wait until I
>> could connect from outside the firewall before I could accept it.
>>
>> https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1115
>>

> The HTTP message system goes over port 12043 so you probably have to
> fiddle with your firewall in any case.  :-(
>
> Proxying other uses of HTTP in the viewer (login screen, help, TOS,
> updater, etc) is something of a different matter, made difficult mostly
> due to our various HTTP clients: curl, LLHTTPClient, Gecko,
> InternetOpen/.  It's certainly a noble goal for whoever has the cycles
> to achieve it.

I already proxy the login-screen, and a variety of other things. Edit
the prefs.js lurking in your Second Life's application data directories,
and insert a standard mozilla set of proxy directives (heck, copy it
straight out of your firefox prefs.js). Everything that uses mozilla for
heavy HTTP lifting will run through your chosen proxy. I've been running
that way since sometime last year.

--
Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.blogspot.com/