[sldev] Re: More plugin / platform harping..

Ryan Williams rdw at lindenlab.com
Tue Jun 19 17:24:42 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 19-Jun-2007, at 17:21, Ryan Williams wrote:
>> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>>> Are you going to put in HTTP proxy support before going to HTTP for
>>> messages?
>
>> No, because we'll still be using the UDP message system for most
>> packets, so proxying wouldn't really make much of a difference.  Even
>> longer-term, we're likely to still keep using UDP for low-latency
>> messages like ObjectUpdate.
>
> The problem is that if you don't have proxy support a number of people
> (including myself) are going to have problems with firewalls (often not
> under their control) that restrict communication on port 80 and 443 to
> proxy-only.
>
> I have already had problems with this... I had to get the URLs of the
> help files because the internal browser couldn't get to them, and the
> first time we had to accept a change in the TOS I had to wait until I
> could connect from outside the firewall before I could accept it.
>
> https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1115

The HTTP message system goes over port 12043 so you probably have to
fiddle with your firewall in any case.  :-(

Proxying other uses of HTTP in the viewer (login screen, help, TOS,
updater, etc) is something of a different matter, made difficult mostly
due to our various HTTP clients: curl, LLHTTPClient, Gecko,
InternetOpen/.  It's certainly a noble goal for whoever has the cycles
to achieve it.

-RYaN