[sldev] git vs svn

Joshua Bell josh at lindenlab.com
Wed Jun 20 09:40:23 PDT 2007

dale at daleglass.net wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 06:11:38PM -0500, Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>
>> I would note that there are a number of good GUI SVN client
>> applications available for OSX and Windows. Git seems to have less
>> widespread support.
>>

> I would completely agree here, but IMO it's a strange way to decide.

To throw something else into the mix: Mercurial is apparently quite
similar in terms of usage patterns to git, is cross-platform, easily
extensible, and there is a "tortoise-hg" project under way to create a
TortoiseSVN-like GUI on top of Mercurial for Windows. I'm keeping an eye
on that.

(FWIW, I do most of my merges via command line SVN, but when I'm
drilling through the history of a branch, trying to find a change, or
wanting to diff two versions, I find the TortoiseSVN GUI is much faster.
When doing a big merge I'll often have both a command-line merge and
color-coded svn diff results up on one screen and TortoiseSVN up on
another so I can cross-check the changes.)