[sldev] getting serious about software.

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Thu Jun 21 03:59:18 PDT 2007

Dirk Moerenhout wrote:
> Note also that in the end doing customisation geared towards chips is
> _fun_ for some of us. I've for example replaced one of the functions
> with a piece of custom asm that is 70x faster than the current code
> while yielding the exact same result. I don't care that the code will
> probably mean no more than 0.1% increase in speed overall. I bumped
> into it and though "no way that this is efficient". A bit of thinking
> later I had created a neat trick based on how IEEE numbers are stored
> and it made my day.

I can fully relate to that part.  It's the same with me and bug fixing.
Fixinig bugs may be the most horrible task some people can think of,
but for me it's a nice intellectual challenge ... like solving a Sudoku
and you probably can't imagine how happy it makes me to see large
chunks of leftover memory being gone from the leak dump (even if it's
clear that it has zero practical impact).

Nick