[sldev] Re: More client forwarded chat channels.

dale at daleglass.net dale at daleglass.net
Fri Jun 22 07:41:54 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:23:45PM -0700, Chance Unknown wrote:
> basically, think of this idea as a channel zero (the viewer gets that) but
> that doesnt show on the screen ... this has the implication that you can
> script prims to send stuff to a hacked up viewer to which the viewer then
> could prgramatically respond to. this could be utilized to provide
> simplistic scripted capability to such a viewer based on how it was hacked
> up.

I've already got a bit of code for that, with the protocol documented
here:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_To_Client_Communication

This allows an object talk to the viewer with for example, llOwnerSay.

Having the viewer reply to the object isn't done yet, but the basic
idea is as follows:

object:
llOwnerSay("$VwrComm$1$REGISTER$3234"); // 3234 is the channel

Viewer in response notes that object with key K wants replies to its
requests on channel 3234, and also sends an "ok" message there in
response to let the object know the viewer got the message.

My idea is to try to submit an implementation of this as a patch, with
protocol parser, a class that allows other parts to set callbacks to
handle things directed to them, plus some predefined versions as
querying the viewer's version, recognized extensions, etc.