[sldev] Possible 3rd party contract for viewer modification

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:48:31 PDT 2007

> The easiest for everybody would still be if Linden Lab could provide some
> sort of web service where I can upload an asset and get a UUID back and get
> L$10 charged (IMHO) (or web textures but I guess they are way in the future)

It's a cool idea, but you'd have to double pay for the bandwidth.

> One of the big problems with such a service is probably that it would require a third party > to be trusted with your SL password.

For this particular application you could (in theory) transfer the
texture full perm to the avatar or just hand off an asset ID if that
is not feasible.

However, it's an interesting problem.   The rules around password
sharing are mystifying when it comes to 3rd party software.   SL needs
to develop a similar authentication scheme that eBay has where you
authorize temporary tokens but do not reveal your password.