[sldev] Opening the server source?

Soft Linden soft at lindenlab.com
Mon Jun 25 10:14:44 PDT 2007

We're certainly a ways off from being in a position where opening the
sim source fully would make sense. I haven't been in on these
discussions, but as an outsider to those discussions, I can anticipate
that LL wouldn't want to do this until a few things happen:

- We need to be in a position to profit from the growth that comes
with third-party sim hosting - at least enough to replace lost revenue
from our own sim hosting.

- We need to be in a position to run a variety of versions of the sim
on the same grid.

- We need to be able to scale core services to meet a spike in use
from a zillion new sims.

- Licensing issues on the middleware that I don't even want to ever
have to think about. (Thank you, Rob and Liana!!!)

That said, it's probably silly to treat open sourcing the sim as an
all-or-nothing affair. If there are specific pieces of the sim you'd
like to see, I can lobby for us to open source select files.

What you can do is to identify any specific bits and, for each, give
me strong justification I can arm myself with. The stronger and more
concise, the better. I'd have to convince folks (including myself if
I'm putting my name to the effort!) that the benefits outweigh the
costs. Between legal, developer time, and security auditing, this
isn't free. Good will on sldev is worth a lot - but so is remaining
solvent. :)