[sldev] Opening the server source?

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Fri Jun 29 13:51:10 PDT 2007

Chance Unknown wrote:
> Putting on a Linden Hat : Why would I open source that item that is
> generating me lots of cash? I know that my cash cow island owners would
> be flirting with another hosting company if I did that. So open source
> my sim software??? mmmmmmm nah.

Remember that the server side is more than just sim servers.  Those sim
servers require investment in hardware and maintenence.  That is
expense.  That is a major scalability problem.

Suppose LL allowed private sims that were virtually connected to the
main grid, but still required the standard LL login to get the database
services.  Users logged on to both the private sims and the main grid
would see a seamless connection.  Users on the main grid, not logged on
to the private sims would see a locked door, that would be opened by
logging on to the private sim.

Without logging on to the main grid, the private sim would be
essentially inoperable.  So LL makes its money by charging for access to
the database servers.  If you take away the cost of the sim server, the
access charge can be significantly less, but the profit can remain the same.

It's a matter of separating the physics and scripting functions from the
rest and applying proper security to messaging.  OK, so it's probably
not that easy, but you get the idea.

LL gets a benefit because it gets subscribers without having to host the
whole thing.  Private hosts get the benefit of minimal lag, privacy for
confidential information, and the ability to customize the behavior of
their worlds.

It's really a question of what business LL wants to engage in.  I don't
think their goal is to manage more and more server farms, because their
focus would have seen a support staff that scales with the size of the
farms.  That doesn't seem to be the case.

Mike