[sldev] Help with JIRA triage

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Wed Mar 7 17:19:53 PST 2007

Hi all,

As you may know, I've been importing issues from jira.secondlife.com
into the internal issue tracker at Linden Lab.  This gives issues
visibility to more people here at Linden Lab who may be able to help,
and is better integrated with our internal processes.  Getting these
issues into the internal tracker is important to getting critical issues
solved in a timely matter.

Here's the query I've been using:
https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10061
(or just find the "All unresolved, sort by LL ID" query)

I start with the oldest issue that has a blank "Linden Lab Issue ID"
field, and work my way up the list.

I've fallen a few days behind on this process, and now I'm hoping to get
some help.  The issue that I have is that the further I fall behind, the
harder it gets.  Issues get stale, and I end up potentially importing
issues that have been duplicated internally.  Our developers, who are
already swamped, can get bogged down sorting through duplicate issues.

In particular, here's some ways that I'm hoping to get some help:

1.  If you see an issue that looks like a good but, vote for it.  I'm
sure everyone is going to have their own personal strategies for votes,
but I'm hoping that you aren't stingy with your votes.
2.  Comment on issues.  Any extra information or commentary helps us
determine what we should be pulling in.
3.  Try reproducing issues.  If there's not enough information to
reproduce the issue, let me know
4.  Linden Lab employees:  if you know that an issue is a duplicate
issue, please state that in the comments of an issue.  Even better is if
you manually fill in the Linden Lab issue identifier.

If you all have other ideas on how to make this go more smoothly, please
discuss.  The smoother and easier we can make this process, the more
quickly we'll be able to deal with issues of substance rather than
administrivia.

Thanks
Rob