[sldev] Release/First Look source code drop, FL-1.13.3.58877

David Fries david at fries.net
Thu Mar 8 18:51:58 PST 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 09:25:31AM -0800, Phoenix wrote:
> This stems from misuse of our internal svn server. The windows  ^M
> developers here primarily use tortoise svn, which does not set eol- ^M
> style on add. I have gone through a branch expected to merge into  ^M
> release (not FL) next week and corrected the eol-style.^M
> ^M
> I have just found this useful configuration, and will distribute this  ^M
> to the developers here to make sure we stop doing this.^M
> ^M
> ^M
> Dunno why, but line endings and new line at end of file is a pet  ^M
> peeve. :)^M

I can give you two reasons.  Seeing ^M at the end of some lines makes
it hardder to read, so when I see them while I'm editing a file I
correct the line endings.  The other reason is if you try to do a diff
with the now corrected version it shows a good portion of the file
changed, that or you try to apply a patch and it fails because, well,
line endings!

The vim editor will hide the ^M if all the lines are consistent.

Good to hear this is getting taken care of.

Now one new line at the end of a file is a pet peeve, one of mine.
vim tells you were the end of the file is with ~ at following lines.
Having multiple new lines at the end of the file keeps making look for
the end of the file, but it already ended earlier.

As far as why even have at new line at the end of a file?  Other than
the compiler complainnig `cat file` and the command prompt is shifted
over if it doesn't end in a new line.

--
David Fries <david at fries.net>
http://fries.net/~david/ (PGP encryption key available)