Fwd: [sldev] Second Life User Experience

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Sun Mar 11 15:50:47 PDT 2007

Bane Darrow wrote:

>              * Right click to edit something turns your avatar to face
>         it. This has gotten in my way many times
>

>     I haven't had trouble with this one in particular.
>

> *Doesn't mean it's not a problem. It's bad design to have your state
> (position, whatever) that you've put yourself in changed on you as a
> side effect of some other action.*
It's seems to be a feature. It is a method used a lot to get your avatar
to face or look a certain way. Models would not consider it a problem.

>              * Editing appearance does an excruciating slow camera
>         movement before the window opens. I cannot disable this.
>

>     Yeah, that's no good. A direct snap would be the best thing to do.
>

> *No. Moving my camera away from where I have it placed is the wrong
> thing to do. Snap or slow. If we're worried about newbies who need the
> camera to be moved for them, fine. But it should be an option I can
> turn off. Leave my camera where I put it.*
I'm confused a bit in the worry about the camera position over the
avatar position. If I remember right, when you edit the camera and
avatar try to line up to world axis. With pose pads, this camera
repositioning is not mandatory.  Being lined up to world axis makes
editing much easier for attachments. Perhaps a new option, "Edit
Attachments Appearance" would do what "Edit Appearance" does now.
> * *
>
>              * After editing appearance, your AV twists around on you.
>

>     That's a bit annoying, but I don't run into it too often.
>

> *See my first answer. 'A bit annoying' is not okay. A bit annoying
> here, a bit annoying there, and I hate using your program. These are
> BIG deals.*
It tries to revert the position from where you are.

>              * I'm sure there are others. Any time my camera or avatar
>         moves without me explicitly instructing it, I think this is a
>         BAD experience.
>

>     That's a pretty blanket statement. What about scripts moving your
>     cam, etc?
>

> *Ok, I'll re-phrase. Anytime my camera or AV moves as a side effect of
> something, and I can't remove the script/option/whatever that is doing
> it to me, it's a bad experience.*
Better control over the camera position would be nice. I wouldn't say
"anytime," as I and others like the random experience at time. It's no
fun to always be in control of everything.

>         * Inventory becomes essentially unmanageable when you've been
>         around a while and collected a lot. We need better organizing
>         besides Folders/Search
>

>     I really don't know what other way to display inventory aside from
>     a straight tree structure.
>

> *So there isn't any answer then? See other systems. Gmail uses
> labeling. I'm sure there are others. This is not a unique problem.*
Sort your objects by folder name. Then search for that folder name when
you want to find something. I have over 10,000 objects, and I can find
everything this way. The only bug I see is when the folder you tab to
jumps out of view. I consider the size of my inventory to be moderate.

>         * Make the console windows movable
>

>     They're debug consoles, they really don't need to move
>

> *This answer gets me so angry, I'm going to resist a flame war here.
> :P I'm not talking about 'need'. I'm talking about making a pleasant
> experience. Debug Consoles are not.*
Yeah, that's why I turn them off. =)

Put that in http://jira.secondlife.com  as a new feature/bug and get votes.
> * *
>
>     --
>     --Jesse
>

> *Don't explain my concerns away by saying they aren't a big deal as
> individual items. It's why the overall experience sucks. It's why it
> will continue to, if this is how we approach concerns. And I think,
> it's why OSS does generally bad at UI design. :P *

This is one of the good reasons why we have an open sourced client. Now
we can make changes to the overall UI experience. Different controls,
different menus, different interface, different themes, and other ideas
exist. The bad design was to force everybody to use one single UI that
won't work the best for every possible interface situation. I'm looking
forward to a more gaming style and another one that is exceptional well
for programming.