[sldev] Developer directory on secondlife.com

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Wed Mar 14 02:39:24 PDT 2007

The overall effect of the contribution license carries a small concern.
The license terms does not really state how LL intends to add its
copyright onto a contribution.

Does LL append its copyright to what already exists on a contribution,
or does LL intend to be the head copyright and keep an option to sever
all other attributions?

I hope you see the depth of the question even though I tried to keep it
simple.

Let me give an example:

I have GPL source code I want to dissolve with the viewer. We know that
the license terms are compatible at this time. However, being that my
action may be seen as a contribution to the viewer then the terms of the
contribution license also apply. At this point, it appears as a consent
to put LLs copyright on my code under such contribution terms rather
than a mutual agreement to share rights to use the source. LL may demand
a license change in the future, which would by consent demand a change
the license of my code even though I own the IP of my code/contribution.

The license terms are not explicit about such conditions or such
intention. If LL only intends to append its copyright on the code so
that it can continue to have rights to use the code even if the
contributor severs the development relationship, that intention is
completely understandable so that content does not break, subsequently.

If the contribution is under the terms of the GPL and with the bounds of
the OSI, I don't see such implicit bindings being a problem as they are
bounded. However, another license within the bounds of the OSI *or*
within the bounds of the contribution license may not have such an
implicit binding prevention.

I hope LL intends to only append a copyright on each contribution, so
that the Contribution Agreement is a... likewise OSI certified license. =)