[sldev] Developer directory on secondlife.com

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:27:22 PDT 2007

Dzonatas wrote:
> If the contribution is under the terms of the GPL and with the bounds of
> the OSI, I don't see such implicit bindings being a problem as they are
> bounded. However, another license within the bounds of the OSI *or*
> within the bounds of the contribution license may not have such an
> implicit binding prevention.
>
> I hope LL intends to only append a copyright on each contribution, so
> that the Contribution Agreement is a... likewise OSI certified license. =)

Dzontas,

No, I think you misunderstand.  Linden Lab cannot accept GPL licensed
contributions.  They require the right to relicense the code under
commercial licenses.

Basically you must give them full copyright power over the contribution.
  This is not unprecedented, the FSF requires a similar full copyright
assignment.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

It does mean LL is free to close your code, however you retain all your
rights under the code too.

-Jason