[sldev] Reformatting Textures for the cache

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Thu Mar 22 09:42:47 PDT 2007

Judith Combs wrote:
> So are you saying that unique new textures wouldn't rez well?  That
> sounds like hell for artists (content creators) like me.  I'm reading
> this thread with fascination, and it's already changed the way I
> handle textures now, for the better.  (And I think that more education
> that's easier to find, for the non-programmer-content-creators would
> be a good idea, so we don't do so many dumb things.)  But I think this
> idea would drive content creation to a more mediocre level, instead of
> encouraging new and original visual ideas.
We want to encourage a more colorful experience over gray. You would not
get any less hi-res images as you do now.

An uncompressed image takes about 1 to 3 megabytes.  These images are
stored in memory.

A compressed image takes about 70-300 Kb. That would be about a10x file
size reduction. These compressed images are stored on disk or sent over
the network.

Normally, images are either compressed or uncompressed. To make room for
more images, old images are just deleted.

We offer a way to keep old images by the use of further compression.  A
3 megabyte file compressed down to 5kb would be just a blur, yes.
However, it will give you the right overall shade, tint, contrast, hue,
and maybe some detail to flow with the textures in its proximity instead
of gray.

We could store up to 600 squished images in the space of one 3 megabyte
image, or that's about 10-40 squished images instead of one normally
compressed image.

If you even dedicated 1GB to these little 5kb squished images, you could
store 200,000 of them.  That is a much more colorful and greater
impression than over plain gray.

If you never go near a image in the far distance, you really don't need
to download the entire image, also. The squished 5kb image will work
especially well for that.