[sldev] Reformatting Textures for the cache

Boroondas Gupte datenmuellabfuhr at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Mar 22 13:38:09 PDT 2007

Morse Dillon wrote:
> For the naysayers, this is how production e-mail servers like Postfix
> handle their data.  If one thinks about it, a filesystem is
> practically the very definition of the kind of lookup db needed for
> this cache system.  It would be even better if we had access to a
> filesystem like ReiserFS on Windows and OS X that excels in handling
> piles of small files.
We can't ask Windows users to provide a ReiserFS disk or partition or
alike. So what about a file-system-in-a-file? (like those ISO-FS CD
images) I don't know if that would destroy performance again.

If not, we'd need drivers and some way to mount files as drives. For
Linux (and I guess, for Mac also), that's already available. Windows
might pose problems, though. (A quick search tells, drivers are
available, but I don't know how reliable they are nor if it would be
possible to somehow include them into SL)

Boroondas