[sldev] Re: Reformatting Textures for the cache

Strife Onizuka blindwanderer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 02:14:07 PDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:

> > One minor clarification, I believe all existing 2048 texture assets
> > have
> > been batch-jobbed down to 1024 by Linden Lab.  I seem to remember
> > something in a blog post about that, or a changelog.
>
> I can verify that, I had a 2048 texture that really needed to be 2048
> (a forest backdrop spread across 8 prims) that was completely ruined
> by this.

Just to clarify this, LL didn't resize the images, they modified the client
so it resized the images down to 1024. Also there are texture *larger* then
2048 out in the wild.
The constant is MAX_IMAGE_SIZE_DEFAULT and it's in
'linden\indra\newview\llviewerimage.h' it is used predominantly in
LLViewerImage::processTextureStats() in
'linden\indra\newview\llviewerimage.cpp'. I don't see a reason why it
couldn't be made an option.

Instead of using
static const F64 log_4 = log(4.0);
log(x) / log_4
wouldn't it be smarter to use
log2(x) / 2.0
(see 'linden\indra\newview\llviewerimage.cpp')?