[sldev] Privacy Pocket

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Thu May 10 20:55:10 PDT 2007

As Linden Lab's recent indiscriminate banning of two consenting adults
for engaging in harmless fantasy role play shows, the lack of privacy in
Second Life is a major issue.

I would like to open a discussion on what client and server development
would be necessary to implement the "privacy pocket" idea.

For the uninitiated, the privacy pocket works as follows:

* Parcel owner would be able to enable a parcel option that would make
from 650m-768m on the z-axis private.

* Agents not present on the protected parcel would not receive object or
agent information or updates from the protected region.  To them it
would appear as empty space.

* Chat would also be limited to the pocket, no chat in, and no chat out.
   It may be desirable for negative channels to pass through the
barrier, as an optional nicety.

* The existing "limit access to this parcel" tools could be used as the
ACLs for this.  An alternative is to create new ACL tools for the pocket
specifically. The argument for dedicated tools is that someone might
want to have their parcel generally open to the public, yet still have
privacy in the pocket.

Obviously a lot of this is server-side.  However it still has
significant client-side elements.  What I'd like to establish is the
minimum server-side changes required so that development can begin on
the client side.

-Jason