[sldev] Re: Privacy Pocket

Second Life sl at phoca.com
Mon May 14 10:06:17 PDT 2007

My main problem with all of these suggestions is that it makes people that want privacy have to go hide in a cave somewhere or perform adult related activities in some kind of tiny caged area with no view of the ground or their own property.

Frankly, I've got a really great sim with a nude beach and you know, I'd kind of like to /enjoy/ it now and then even though my sim is NOT XXX? Other people already have nice houses with bedrooms and views... Having the expectation of privacy on ones own properly in their own house is something that I think a lot of people underestimate the need for.

I think that instead of having fixed areas at godly heights or hidden worm hole rooms etc that a REAL privacy feature be combined with a REAL feature for shielding unverified accounts from adult access. Namely, a system for shutting off the visibility of all avs and prims in a user defined area to a set of permissions. I mean with the > 600 meter height idea, what's to stop someone from one parcel on the sim from camming into the adjacent parcel on that sim at that height? Sure you could lock out unverifieds but that still doersn't prevent nosey neighbors. The micro sim rooms idea has been suggested before but how limiting or expensicve is that going to be to have to rent more specialized space? :(

The best idea I've heard is simply limiting the visibility of an area an age or a group or a list of accounts. Everyone else sees... nothing. This is CRUCIAL for supporting LL's current policy on age verification (That it is "voluntary" and adult and non-adult parcels sit side by side),  I don't see how that can even work without it! Lets think a little more generalized here. This single feature could be used for both of these very important concerns and possibly even more, to the point of even getting rid of ban lines eventually. If the defined area is inside a house you still see the outside walls of a the house. But camming in you see... nothing. If it's an open beach all you see is the empty land of the beach. The server simply does not send av or prim data to a client if avs or prims are inside an area defined as private or adult and the av doing the viewing does not qualify to receive the data. It's pretty simple, simple to implement, general and does not displace people to fixed zones or small areas in the middle of nowhere to be "private" and best of all, no ban lines and no interruption for aircraft or anything else. There is no need to over complexify this thing when it could be done best by doing it the simplest/most generalized way possible.

Obviously this would have some level of impact on the servers efficiency as now it just blindly passes out all objects within the AVs draw distance, however it shouldn't take much cleverness to keep that impact to a minimum*.

Farallon

*I have seen such lack of cleverness in spades in areas like the LSL interpreter though so we may have to wait till the sim server code is open sourced before being able to poke at that :)