[sldev] unicode.ttf

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Wed May 16 07:53:54 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 08:05:34PM +0900, MATSUU Takuto wrote:
> hi.

> kochi-mincho.ttf and kochi-mincho-subst.ttf are not good for the
> default. kochi has license problem and kochi-subst is cruddy.

> I suggest these free fonts:
> Sazanami(Japanese) http://sourceforge.jp/projects/efont/
> Arphic Fonts(Chinese) http://www.arphic.com.tw/
> Baekmuk Fonts(Korean) http://kldp.net/projects/baekmuk/

Any suggestion about which particular fonts from these font packages to
use?

I'm guessing mincho for the Japanese, (which surprises me, I though
gothic was "sans-serif", ie. body text), but it's not clear to me if
Kaiti or Mingti/Sungti is a better choice for Chinese, nor which of the
four fonts in the baekmuk package is appropriate. (Or even more than
one, my Korean font-face understanding is limited, but I assume each one
provides full coverage in a different typeface...)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/