[sldev] AWG: Geometric Content Creation

Mark Burhop mark.burhop at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:50:12 PDT 2007

> The sim needs to know the prim geometry as well, or are you thinking
> of that as another client?
>
> Really, though, from that viewpoint what you're describing as "Client-
> specific" is the general format, and the optimized geometry is the
> client-specific one.

Yes.. in time. I don't know it is the general "format", but it would be the
general "protocol" for exchanging any geometric format.  This is another
reasons I think my initial diagram needs some more refinement. All this
feedback should help a lot with this.

So we're looking at something like this?

> Asset database, referenced by UUIDs or URIs.
>     Assets:
>         Local data (data belonging to this domain).
>         Remote data (data belonging to other domains, stored as URIs)
>             Local cache (copies of data belonging to other domains,
> plus URI referring to original copy)
>         Client-specific (optimized) data.
>             Local data (optimized data created by or uploaded
> directly to this domain)
>             Remote data (optimized data available from other domains)
>                 Local cached copies (copies of optimized data from
> other domains, plus URI)
>             Legacy data (references to data in "optimized store", by
> UUID)
> Optimized store:
>     Legacy asset server, referenced by UUIDs.

That is a bit of a slippery slope.  Its a good question but I'm not sure I
want to slip into talking about assets, caching and URIs this email
thread. There are a lot of different people with different ideas about
assets and I'd much rather they lead any disucussion in this area :-)  -Mark