[sldev] [VWR] Flash (Was: What about Dillo)

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Nov 2 16:46:53 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 02-Nov-2007, at 12:42, Kamilion wrote:
>>> Also, please, for the love of god, do not drag Flash into Second Life.
>
>> Far, farrrr too late -- SL's preexisting Quicktime support supports
>> Flash version 5 displays on media textures. I've got a nice scrolling
>> flash clock as my media texture at my workspace parcel:
>> http://www.designegg.com/insertmonkey/clock.swf
>
> I can implement that clock in 4 prims with one script, without doing
> any fancy texture carving tricks. Three if I leave off the seconds, or
> get tricky with textures. And it will work anywhere, including on my HUD.
>
> If we had prim-face text rendering I could do it in one prim.
>
> Without messing around with a brace of closed-source plugins that
> don't work on Linux, and I wouldn't have to turn on streaming media to
> see it (something I haven't done in months). Given how much trouble
> you have to do to make this work, I don't think that this is anything
> close to what I'd think of as "dragging Flash into second life".

SVG-on-a-prim seems to address most of these issues.

And, with what, on the face, seems to be little extra effort, LL can add
a collaborative whiteboard building option to any prim with a flat face:

In the build dialog, the whiteboard option would open a simple SVG
drawing tool that projects onto the screen-copy of the selected prim's
nearest face, assuming it is flat. Then, the builder can draw "onto"
that prim any svg content they want using a simple vector drawing and
text tool. Closing the tool publishes that svg to the server and makes
it an overlay of the prim's texture, releasing it for the next avatar
(who has suitable prim permissions) to modify.

Instant collaborative whiteboard.

More professional svg-based drawing plugins could be used on the
clientside to make drawing more sophisticated. External files could be
used in place of the content produced by the interactive drawing tool.

Lawson