[sldev] ESC exempt from open source and GPL licensing?

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Sat Nov 10 10:57:06 PST 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007 16:44:13 Hamncheese wrote:
> There are only a couple of people involved in this community that
> deserve to bitch about commercial companies profiting off their hard
> work. And if you know what I'm talking about then you will also know
> that they have enough community following to launch their own viewer
> with great success. I'm not belittling any contributions anyone has made
> but let's get real about this.
>
> As my grandpa used to say..."Put up or shut up." :)

Doesn't work that way though.

You can't perform work without an agreement that you'll be compensated for
it, then suddenly demand payment. This works for both things like mowing
somebody's lawn without being asked, and submitting patches after signing
a "you give us permission to do anything we want with the code" agreement.

So really, if you expect to get anything out of it, it's best not to do
anything until the conditions are to your liking.