[sldev] [POLICY] ESC exempt from open source and GPL licensing?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 09:23:40 PST 2007

On 11-Nov-2007, at 09:54, Taran Rampersad wrote:
> Dirk Moerenhout wrote:
>> If you're not coding for the thrill of making something no Open
>> Source
>> project is really good for you.

> Some people code for a living as well, and are trying to make ends
> meet.

Then they need to spend less time on open source projects and more
time on coding for a living. It's been a busy year for me, too.

If working on an open source project provides a benefit for you, then
you've got your gas. If someone else gets some gas to fill up their
taxi, so long as their getting the gas didn't cost you more then them
NOT getting the gas, what does it matter? If the license prevents you
from getting your gas, then that's a different matter, but worrying
about whether other people are getting more or less gas than you
seems counterproductive.

But dual licensing doesn't normally do that. The GPL may, depending
on how you plan on getting your gas, but I have difficulty seeing how
dual licensing on top of the GPL could change things in a situation
like this where Linden Labs has control over the grid no matter what
license the client is under.