[sldev] ESC exempt from open source and GPL licensing?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 12:39:37 PST 2007

By your request I will ignore your questions, and simply respond to
comments specifically and personally directed at me.

On 11-Nov-2007, at 14:20, Taran Rampersad wrote:
> You didn't actually work on open source or free software code
> before then because the terms had not been created yet.

The term "free software" as well as neologisms like "freeware" were
in common use back then. Stallman didn't invent "free software".

And the nature of the software didn't magically change when Raymond
introduced the term "open source". He didn't create "open source"
software, he came up with a name: open source software existed before
the term was coined. It was the same process, the same projects, the
same software, the same people. You might as well claim that people
didn't actually live in the bronze age because the term wasn't
invented while they were alive, or that there are no real "pre-
columbian" artifacts because nobody used the term "pre-columbian"
before Columbus.