[sldev] UDP to TCP/HTTP - performance issues?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:09:07 PST 2007

I agree with Callum here. We're talking about internet speeds, a
couple of megabits per second at best. It's been a decade at least
since we even had to worry about network overhead at straight
ethernet speeds on typical desktop computers, and today the fact that
some screwup in the audio drivers for Vista causes a bobble at
gigabit speeds is remarkable enough that it gets remarked about.
There's no CPU overhead in the network stack imposed by switching
from UDP to TCP that would cause any noticeable effect on the kind of
systems that are capable of running any kind of virtual reality.

I have to say, too, that there was a time that I would have
considered the above paragraph hard science fiction. :)