[sldev] Question regarding upcoming maintenance on 11/27-11/28

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 14:12:38 PST 2007

Feedback would be appreciated. Many of us put some effort into trying offer constructive cirticism of the approach, yet it feels like LL has ignored it and just gone ahead anyway.

We weren't just being contrary for the sake of it. We (and I think it is almost unanimous amongst the OS contributors and the other members of this list), genuinely believe that

a) the proposal as it stood introduced some serious problems and security issues
b) the proposal as it stood didn't actually realise any of the goals which LL had explicitly stated they were doing this work to achieve
c) the proposal as it stood would not be compatible with the ongoing inter-Grid authentication work of the AWG

More fundamentally, LL needs to make up its mind whether it really does want to adopt a open community development model as it appears to aspire to or a closed development model as it tends to end up doing in practice!

Matthew