[sldev] Re: University of Michigan Stereoscopic Viewer patch

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Fri Nov 23 12:02:02 PST 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007 19:36:25 Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Would be useful, don't see why this can't be included in the standard
> code with an option to enable or disable at runtime.
Well, I hope they accept it. A comment on a bug seems to suggest LL isn't
very interested in strange configurations like shutter glasses, though.

Here are my plans (should be done some time this weekend):

Preferences dialog changes to select rendering mode and adjust separation.
Will see if there are any other useful constants to mess with.

A hotkey to switch between stereo/normal mode in Client/Rendering. I found
that some things are a pain to do in stereo mode (building mainly), so I
think a way to quickly switch back and forth is needed.

Perhaps tweaking colors in stereo mode. Pure red or pure cyan seems to
create problems, this may make things like building difficult.

The updated patch will be submitted to LL

> All seemed pretty good but i have some issues with the red breaking
> through my cyan lenses and very close objects are not working well for
> me. I get a good depth perception but I am not getting the "objects
> coming out of the screen" effect i was expecting but instead see a ghost
> image as my glasses fail to filter correctly.
I think it's bad glasses. My cyan lens seems to filter red pretty much
completely. But too nearby things still don't look that well. But they're
cheap paper ones.

Digging around a bit seems to show that there are good quality plastic
glasses that may get better results. I'll try to get some of those. Here's
what I'm talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_image#Red_sharpened_anaglyph_glasses

BTW, I'd appreciate it if people who are finding places where to get the
glasses could send me a mail saying where they got them. Since this will
go into my viewer I'd like to put a list of places where to get them on my
site. I'm especially interested in countries other than the US.

> I am wondering is it a) i have rubbish glasses :-( or b) do the colours
> need optimising for my monitor/glasses combination?
>
> Robin

Hmm, actually I wonder, is there some sort of standard test for this?
Something like the process for gamma calibration.