[sldev] [VWR] Swap storm with 1.18.5.X

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 12:41:35 PST 2007

Hi Eveyone,

Is anyone else testing the 1.18.5.X branch, i'm having loads of trouble
with basically a swap storm or the "eat all your memory and die" bug.
Its so bad It can force me to reset the system to recover.

Linux Debian Sid, AMD64 (64bit mode enabled) viewer compiled for 64bit
from source, all opensource libraries. 1GB Physical ram. gcc 4.2.3

I don't think any of the libs are the cause as I can run other version
of the viewer ok against the same libs. So mozlib/openjpeg or others are
unlikely primary causes it seems to be the main viewer code.

I've tried turning off VBO and object occlusion from the menu as i found
JIRA comments and other mails relating to possible causes. Is turning it
off on the menu enough?.

I've tried running gdb and breaking in to try to see what was eating
memory but no luck and valgrind is difficult due to the shear number of
reports i get, trying to isolate specific problems is not easy.

Viewer starts off ok but slowly (usually dead with in 10 minutes)
degrades with larger freezes which progresses to a swap storm where the
system freezes whist all the memory is swapped around.

Now i've seen many JIRA's that all sort of describe this in various ways
but those have all got long and involved and in most cases everyone is
confused!

So any ideas? sections to play with? things to turn on/off or tests to
run? Or other debugging tips?

Thanks

Robin