[sldev] Havok4: Offer LOD degrade priority to landowners and groups first

Andrew Meadows andrew at lindenlab.com
Mon Oct 1 09:51:48 PDT 2007

Such complex machines may lie outside the possibility space in SL for
a while.  At the moment the shape LOD system is not very smart so yes,
the grief mode you describe would work.  More importantly, it may be
possible for a griefer to cause someone's house to get boxified -->
ejecting all the avatars therein.

The next steps for making the RCCS smarter are probably going to be:
   (a) take some exceptions for avatars --> prefer to collide them against
       other objects highest LOD
   (b) make the RCCS system crack down on a simulation island basis -->
       figure out which piles of objects are causing the lag and only boxify
       those piles

If (b) were done, and we had tighter parcel access enforcement (one
of the other things I want to work on) it might be possible to prevent
a particular contraption from suffering from shape LOD change by
wrapping it in a parcel with sufficiently restrictive access settings.

- Andrew