[sldev] CAPTCHA to validate land sales.

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 14:38:52 PDT 2007

>> Whatever you may personally feel about landbots - their use is not >> illegal in SL nor against the TOS.>Lets quit mixing 'legality' and ToS. ToS is a contract, subject to >contract law. It is not *THE* Law.

I never said it was *THE* law - the word "illegal" can be quite legitimately used as a synonym for banned, prohibited etc. without it necessarily being anything to do the the Law of the land.

> The current land sale system already has a method to specify WHO you want to be able to buy a parcel of land.  If you are not using it it is not LL's fault.

A good UI system provides some allowance for human fallability.

> There is also a final screen that comes up to allow you to verify the sale settings BEFORE you click "APPLY"

And I was quite clear in my e-mail that dialogs *BEFORE* you click apply weren't the answer, but breathing space *AFTER* you click apply.

The newbie selling to a buyer standing next to them in an empty sim unaware of landbots will think it safe to set the land for sale to anyone for the other person to buy it. When they get a dialog saying "Are you sure?" they will think, yes "I'm sure - ther person buying is standing next to me - there's no-one else around - I'll click OK".

And in any case the warning/alert dialog is so overused and we get so many annoying popups in browsers, software etc. that clicking through such things without thinking is almost a reflex action - can you honestly say you've never clicked on a popup almost in reaction and immediately thought "damn, I didn't mean to click that"?

Matthew