[sldev] [META] GPL'd APIs (Re: Protocol Documentation)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 18:38:56 PDT 2007

*sigh*

[Callum Lerwick accusing me of spreading FUD]

Look, you're missing a couple of HUGE bloody points here.

First, I ALSO said that it was up to Linden Labs to say what was OK
or not, not the FSF. I'm just explaining WHY people are leary of the
GPL. Because this kind of stuff KEEPS happening. The FSF are the
GPL's worst enemies some times.

Second, the libsecondlife guys are the people who brought up the
issue of the code being GPLed in the first place. They're the ones
who are using the clean-room approach to make SURE that that they
have a BSD licensed implementation.