[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 14:25:28 PDT 2007

On 06-Oct-2007, at 15:42, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> "Almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"

Yah. Caching was the thing that immediately sprang to mind as a
problem with using a URL and making requests in real time. Resources
need to live "close" to where they're used. Assets are going to get
copied around. Assets referred to from in-world objects need to still
work even if the asset server from Joe's Bar and Grid is offline, so
they need to be cached.

> For this to happen, we need a way to unambiguously
> identify an asset, completely independent of its location. A content
> hash is probably the best way to do this. Duplicate copies of an asset
> become obvious to identify, and likewise maliciously modified or
> corrupted copies of the asset can be identified and culled.

What about assets with editable properties, like clothing, gestures,
notecards, and so on?

Where do permissions live? They're a common property of all assets in
the SL domain. They're not part of the asset, because different
"copies" of the asset have different permissions. Or does the asset
need to get split into a static part (eg, the actual texture) and a
dynamic one (SL permissions)?