[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Oct 6 15:52:52 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:

> We have the case of objects being actively edited. "Editing" could mean
> a script modifying the object. We should perhaps think of the Asset
> Domain as long term storage. Objects being actively edited live in
> mutable, ethereal anonymous state, that exists only in the Region
> domain. To be accessible outside that region, it must be "baked" and
> passed into the Asset domain.

Again, where does the unpublished asset live? Is it simply not-an-asset?
This issue needs to be addressed because you can't reasonably do a
regexp search of  all notecards in your inventory, letalone all notes
taken of all people you have ever met anywhere in the metaverse friend
or not, unless some private version of these exist client-side in a
format that is flagged as "searchable content". Why go creating
special-case flags when you can simply have a generic class of object
that doesn't require validation from some asset server before you can
gain access? Private content is never "stale" or invalid, since the
client itself has the only copy and no external asset server can even
know it exists until it is published (either as a copy of the original
or transformed into an external asset with no private copy leftover).

My keyword floater can't use the LLInventory* classes to display
folder-style hierarchies because keywords aren't an asset, for a more
trivial example.

For a more complex example, how does one deal with locally built assets,
such as avatars, prims, etc., that have never been published, even to a
private sim?

An example of this would be prims (or avatar appearances) created/edited
via plug-ins with more complex interfaces than the rudimentary in-world
tools provide. Do we just say "let the plug-in writers worry about this"
or do we address the issue from the start and provide a generic
mechanism to allow manipulation of non-published stuff using the same
GUI as currently only handles published stuff?

L.