[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Andre Roche roamingryozu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 16:25:48 PDT 2007

>I think the "instance" needs to be a long term object, as well. If
>you edit a texture in your inventory, change its properties, its
>identifier shouldn't change.

So in a multisource system where I call for an asset by it's ID
What permissions will it have when I recieve it?

Probably, the ID itself wouldn't change, but when calling for an
asset, it's permissions would be a part of the call.  (ID)(Base
Permissions Byte)(Extend Permissions Byte for servers that use it)

Aside from that, do we even have a definition of what an asset is, or can be?

Right now, we have a defined list of asset types.  Texture, Gesture,
Clothing, etc.  For an extensible architecture, in a world where SL is
a common thing, it needs to be versatile.

I figure, an asset needs to be defined in separate parts.
A header that defines common attributes such as asset type.  Textures
probably won't always be jpeg2000, so obviously a way to define just
what kind data is in the asset is needed.  What other attributes would
be static and go in the header? (Size, Data block CRC, Identifier)

If each block is marked, additional blocks can be added.

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, I'm missing a huge chunk
of the conversation having not read the meeting logs yet.