[sldev] Various questions on the viewer.

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Oct 6 20:41:13 PDT 2007

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) wrote:
> Jason:
>
> I don't (yet) know the answers to your questions, but I can tell you
> that starting next week, I'm going to be working on a project (along
> with a couple of other people) called "User Interface Cleanup" that
> includes, among other things, a reworking of the way we handle
> callbacks and a reorganization of XUI. We expect to spend most of the
> next quarter on it.
>
> SL grew a bit more organically than any of us would like -- but now
> we're trying to apply some good engineering principles. So hang in
> there and we'll keep you posted.

I'm abot half done with my faux outline panel for keywords. Steve
Indicated that it would be a  while before a generic outline/folder
panel would be ready so I'm rolling my own, as best I cant, without
rewriting any of the existing classes. Can I suggest a long-term project
of "rewrite the GUI from scratch?"

I know that some want to just get rid of the GUI, and, for "plain
vanilla" clients, any old GUI could easily be used for most/all
SL-related purposes. However, there's plenty of potential for a well
designed GUI that was designed with Second LIfe in mind, so I'd rather
see a core GUI requirement for SL that any modren GUI framework could
handle, PLUS optional  features, that would require either a seriously
tweaked regular GUI, or a GUI designed from the ground up for that purpose.

I've mentioned a few possibilities in
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Use_Cases#Extended_Capability_Clients
and I'm sure there are countless other capabilities that would require
an SL-oriented GUI to take full advantage of.

L.